Mother’s Day Follow-up

20 May

The month of May has been quite busy for us.  We’ve had lots of visitors in town. First our nephew (with his sweet daughter) stayed with us for a few nights. They joined us at the YMCA for one of our swimming days.  We also hosted a family dinner, thank goodness for take out BBQ.  Then for Mother’s Day, we had even more family come into town.  We all gathered together in Onion Creek and had a great visit with the many moms and great/grand moms. Since initial diagnosis in 1999, this is Susie’s 19th Mother’s Day.  Pretty darn impressive for someone who had a 5% chance of surviving to 3 years.


A few days after Mother’s Day, Susie and I traveled to MD Anderson for her regularly scheduled follow-up.  I’ve worked out our schedule so travel is in and out on the same day.  We leave very early in the morning for her MRI in Houston.  I setup the rear of our wagon as a bed, and Susie snoozes until we stop for breakfast (normally kolaches at Hruska’s).  After the MRI, Susie’s doctor appointment is normally in the early afternoon.  After which, we stop for a late lunch/ drive home to Austin.

Last week was no different than previous follow-ups in Houston.  Susie’s neuro-oncologist has a new nurse practitioner, who Susie enjoyed talking with.  She told us Susie’s scans look stable, did a physical w/ Susie, evaluated Susie’s right-side neuropathy and how Susie’s vision/ alignment has improved.  We then met with Susie’s neuro-oncologist, who walked us through Susie’s MRI.  For Susie, this means looking at areas affected by stroke, surgical site (scar tissue/ cancer growth), and radiation effect (brain cells/ blood vessels).  Our motto has become “no changes” = “good news”. In addition, Susie now moves to follow-ups every 4 months.

We were hoping to join in the Callahan’s General Store 40th Anniversary festivities, but Susie did not feel well yesterday.  She was quite disappointed, but enjoyed seeing photos/ videos on Facebook.  Our next adventure is Gabriel’s graduation.